This Policy applies to visitors and users (individually, “you“) of YellowTin’s Website (i.e., “yellowtin.com”) or YellowTin’s partner websites (“Partner Site” and collectively with YellowTin’s Website a “Website”), applications, and other online services ( “Applications”) and collectively, the “YellowTin Platform”). YellowTin, Inc. (collectively “YellowTin” or “we”, “us”, or “our”) are strongly committed to letting you know how we may collect information and data from you or that you may provide when you visit or use any part of the YellowTin Platform and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information. This policy is applicable to data and information we collect:
- On a Website, application or other YellowTin Service (i.e., YellowTin Platform).
- When you interact with Partner Sites or Applications, if those applications include links to this policy or the “Powered by YellowTin” indicator.
- In email, texts, chat, and other electronic messages between you and the YellowTin Platform.
- Through all email newsletters published or distributed by us or our partners.
- By us offline when you interact or otherwise do business with us such as when you provide your information on applications or other forms provided by you or on your behalf.
It does not apply to information collected by:
- Us offline or through any other means that is not related to a YellowTin Platform;
- Websites operated by any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries which have their own privacy policies); or
- Any third party (such as installers at which you may make a request for quote including our partners, affiliates and subsidiaries including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from the Web We do not take any responsibility for how such third parties may use any information they collect. For information about third-party privacy practices, please consult with them directly.
Children Under the Age of 16
The YellowTin Platform is not intended for children under 16 years of age. No one under age 16 may provide any personal information to or on the YellowTin Platform. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 16. If you are under 16, do not use or provide any information on this YellowTin Platform or through any of its features, register on the YellowTin Platform, make any purchases through the YellowTin Platform, use any of the interactive features of this YellowTin Platform, or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 16 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 16, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. California residents under 16 years of age may have additional rights regarding the collection and sale of their personal information.
What Information Does YellowTin Collect and Store?
We collect two types of information – personal and non-personal from you in conjunction with your use of the YellowTin Platform and our products and services. Personal information is any information that can individually identify you and can include, among other things, your name, telephone number, e-mail address, screen name, postal address, account settings; passwords and other contact information that you provide. Personal information also includes information that you may supply to us such as when you write to us via the YellowTin Platform, complete a form or survey, or provide your e-mail address.
Non-personal information is information that is about you but individually does not identify you. Non-personal information that we collect includes tracking and usage information about your energy choice purchasing or financing plans or requirements, location, demographics, IP address and other information collected through cookies through your use of the YellowTin Platform and the Internet
In addition, we may now or in the future collect information about your transactions with us, or with our installers, vendors, original equipment manufacturers, affiliates or other business partners, including information such as your utility account number, smart meter data, electric and gas energy usage, utility billing information, electric service (including, without limitation, service account number, service agreement, service start date, electricity demand (in kilowatts), natural gas demand (in therms), monthly billed revenue, billing dates, billing history, rate schedule(s), meter read dates, interval usage or interval time-of-use indicators, or number or type of meters at a location, energy choices (electric vehicle, air conditioning, swimming pool, spa, heat pump water heaters, heat pump dryers, heat pump space conditioner, induction cooktop, battery storage , energy efficiency), type, slope, shade and age of your home’s roof, your building type, YellowTin personalized insights and recommendations and any special requests or comments that you choose to submit (if any).
Personal Information – How It Is Collected
You do not need to register or set up an account to view the YellowTin.com website and you can browse the YellowTin.com website without submitting your personal information to us. However, there are a number of circumstances in which you may supply us or our agents with your personal information. The following lists the most common ways in which we may collect your personal information:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms through the YellowTin Platform. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use the YellowTin Platform, subscribing to our service, posting material, or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with the YellowTin Platform.
- When you submit information to process your interest in clean energy such as solar or other transactions that you have requested.
- When you call us or complete an application.
- Signing up to receive alerts or other information via email, text, instant message, phone, or chat from us.
- Requesting customer service or other assistance for our products that you are interested in or have purchased (including as provided by affiliates and unaffiliated third parties such as vendors, installers and energy providers).
- Submission of content or other data and information on any part of the YellowTin Platform.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
- Details of transactions you carry out through the YellowTin Platform and of the fulfillment of your orders. You may be required to provide financial information before placing an order through the YellowTin Platform.
- Your search queries on the YellowTin Platform.
- Any other place on the YellowTin Platform where you knowingly volunteer personal information.
In addition, we may receive certain categories of Personal Information from sources other than you, such as from third-party websites, applications, and services (each, a “third-party platform”), and other third parties. We may combine this information with information we collect on the YellowTin Platform.
We may collect and store the following categories of Non-Personal Information:
- Non-identifiable demographic data such as city, five-digit zip code as part of collecting personal information.
- Information about your computer, browser, mobile device, or another device that you use to access the YellowTin Platform. This information may include IP address, geolocation information, unique device identifiers, browser type, browser language, and other transactional information.
- Analytics and usage information about your use of the YellowTin Platform.
- Additional “traffic data” and log files such as time of access, date of access, software crash reports, session identification number, access times, and referring website addresses.
- Other information regarding your use of the YellowTin Platform.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you through the YellowTin Platform.
- Automatically as you navigate and interact with our platform or the site. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies.
- From third parties, for example, our business partners.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with the YellowTin Platform, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to the Website, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the YellowTin Platform.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
The information we collect automatically does not include personal information, but we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve the Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize the Website according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to the Website.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of the Website may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from, and on the Website. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies. For information about managing your privacy and security settings for Flash cookies, see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information.
- Web Beacons. Pages of our the Website and our e-mails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit YellowTin, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
- You have the ability to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but, if you prefer, you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies. If you delete your cookies or if you set your web browser to decline cookies, some features of the Website may not work or may not work as designed. For more information on cookies and how to disable them, you can consult the information provided by the Interactive Advertising Bureau at www.allaboutcookies.org.
- We may use flash cookies, web storage, web beacons or other technology that tracks your browsing history across multiple websites.
Collection of Your Source IP Address/Location Information
We will collect and store location information about you on the YellowTin Platform and associated with your account, if any, that you volunteer on the YellowTin Platform or enable through the YellowTin Platform. We will not collect any location information that you do not volunteer or enable. We will delete any location information that you request is deleted. We do collect and store your device’s source IP address which may disclose the location of your device at the time you access the YellowTin Platform.
Collection of Personal Information from or through Social Media Sites or Using Your Social Media Logon
When you interact with any YellowTin Platform or our account on a social media platform, such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Tumblr, LinkedIn, YouTube, or Pinterest, we may collect the personal information that you make available to us on that page or account including your account ID or “handle”. However, we will comply with the privacy policies of the corresponding social media platform and we will only collect and store such personal information that we are permitted to collect by these social media platforms.
Collection of Personal and Non-Personal Information from Other Sources
We also may collect and store information about you that we receive from other sources (including by us from our offline interactions with you) to, among other things, enable us to update and correct the information contained in our database and to better customize your experience on the YellowTin Platform. Additionally, we may also obtain information such as credit reports (with your consent), energy usage, and any associated data relating to your energy needs including home data from other sources. The information we obtain about you may come from other your utility company, property data collection services, or other providers of information.
Collection of Personal and Non-Personal Information Through Surveys and Promotions
Collection of Third Party Personal Information Through Tell-A-Friend Feature
We may from time to time conduct a referral service to introduce people you know to us. If you choose to use our referral service to tell someone about the YellowTin Platform, we will ask you for your contact’s name and email address. We will automatically send your contact a one-time email inviting him or her to visit the YellowTin Platform. We store this information for the purpose of sending this one-time email and tracking the success of our referral program. Your contact may contact us at email@example.com to request that we remove this information from our database.
How Do We Use Your Information?
We use the information we learn from you to help us personalize and continually improve your experience on the YellowTin Platform. We may, as permitted by law, use your Personal and Non-Personal Information in the following ways:
- Process your energy choice research such as solar system, inquiry, purchase or other transaction that you have requested.
- Process your Personal Information or Information for the purpose of comparing energy providers.
- Provide support, service and assistance for energy products that you are interested in purchasing or have purchased (including as provided by affiliates and unaffiliated third parties).
- Communicate with you about your transactions with us (including product related announcements), and send you information about features and enhancements on the YellowTin Platform.
- To provide you with notices about your account, including expiration and renewal notices.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- To notify you about changes to the YellowTin Platform or any products or services we offer or provide though it.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on the YellowTin Platform.
- Personalize content and experiences on the YellowTin Platform including providing you reports, recommendations and feedback based on your preferences.
- Prepare anonymized Personal Information to disclose statistics and other details regarding the use of the YellowTin Platform.
- Optimize or improve our products, services, YellowTin Platform and operations.
- Detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal.
- Perform statistical, demographic, and marketing analyses of users of our products, services, and YellowTin Platform.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
Use of Your Location Information
Specifically, we use your location information to:
- Personalize content on the YellowTin Platform including providing you with access to information about other reports, recommendations and feedback based on your feedback, if any.
- Optimize or improve our products, services, YellowTin Platform and operations.
- Detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal.
- Perform statistical, demographic, and marketing analyses of users of our products, services, and YellowTin Platform and patterns.
Combination of Your Personal Information
We use the information from one portion of the YellowTin Platform on other portions of YellowTin Platform in reports and analysis, all of which are owned and operated by YellowTin, and we may combine information gathered from multiple portions of the YellowTin Platform into a single customer record or analysis or report. We also use and/or combine information that we collect off-line or we collect or receive from third party sources to enhance, expand, and check the accuracy of your customer records.
To Whom Do We Provide Your Information?
Business Partners and Third Parties
Installers and Their Affiliates
When you make a quotation request through the YellowTin Platforms, such as a solar quote, we automatically provide certain categories of your information to the installer in order to facilitate your request. For requests to install, this information may include your name, telephone number, e-mail address, postal address, utility account number, smart meter data, electric and gas energy usage and, utility billing information, electric service (including, without limitation, service account number, service agreement, service start date, electricity demand (in kilowatts), natural gas demand (in therms), monthly billed revenue, billing dates, billing history, rate schedule(s), meter read dates, interval usage or interval time-of-use indicators, or number or type of meters at a location, energy choices (electric vehicle, air conditioning, swimming pool, spa, heat pump water heaters, heat pump dryers, heat pump space conditioner, induction cooktop, battery storage , energy efficiency), type, slope, shade and age of your home’s roof, your building type, system size, your energy and installation preferences, YellowTin personalized insights and recommendations and any special requests or comments that you choose to submit (if any). Your information is provided to the installer, just as it would if you contacted the installer directly. If you provide a mobile phone number in connection with your quotation request, installers may send you text messages regarding your quotation request. Some installers also require you to provide credit or debit card account information to secure your order.
When you make a quotation request, we may also share with the installer additional information about you, such as information that we collect from third parties. Depending on where you reside, and as permitted by applicable law, we or the installer may additionally share certain of your information with such installer’s affiliated installers (such as affiliated brands), installer group and/or installers with the same brand or parent-brand (collectively, such installer’s “installer group”), or other entities associated with such installer (such as the parent entity of the installer group) and/or their service providers (collectively, the associated entities and service providers, such installer’s “installer affiliates“) under YellowTin’s programs. Specifically, we or the installer may share your information (such as installation preference, panel preferences) with other installers in the same installer group to enhance the service such installer group provides you when you engage with them (such as, remembering your preferences for a future install to increase your system size) (“customized service”) and to improve the installer’s sales support. In addition to providing you with more customized service, we or the installer may, as permitted by applicable law, share your information with such installer’s installer affiliates to support operations, such as to perform analytics, tailor marketing to you, and improve their services. The YellowTin entity identified here would be the services provider/data processor of the installers under these YellowTin programs. For more information, please feel free to contact the installers you request a quote, or YellowTin as detailed in the Contact Us section below.
If you provide comments about an installer through the YellowTin Platforms, these comments may be shared with or may be accessible by that installer. We will not tie your comments with other information that can identify you, but an installer may be able to tell who you are from your comments, particularly if you give your name in the comments or provide contact information, such as an email address.
Our YellowTin Platforms may allow you to connect and share your actions, comments, content, and information publicly or with friends. Our YellowTin Platforms may also allow you to connect with us on, share on, and use third-party platforms, including those on which YellowTin has a presence. You may also share ratings and reviews through the YellowTin Platform or other social media platforms.
Please be mindful of your personal privacy needs and the privacy needs of others as you choose whom to connect with and what to share and make public. We cannot control the privacy or security of information you choose to make public or share with others. YellowTin also does not control the privacy practices of third-party platforms. Please contact those sites and services directly to learn about their privacy practices.
We may or in the future have third party agents, subsidiaries, affiliates and partners that perform functions on our behalf, such as hosting, push notifications, storage, bandwidth, content management tools, analytics, customer service, fraud protection, etc. These entities have access to the Personal Information needed to perform their functions and are contractually obligated to maintain the confidentiality and security of that Personal Information. We may also share aggregated or de-identified information for the improvement of services offered by the YellowTin Platforms in our discretion. They are restricted from using, selling, distributing or altering this data in any way other than to provide the requested services to us.
As Required by Legal Obligations
We may also use or disclose Personal Information if permitted or required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to applicable law or comply with legal process served on us or the YellowTin Platform, (b) protect and defend our rights or property, the YellowTin Platform, or our other users, and (c) act under emergency circumstances to protect the personal safety of us, our affiliates, agents, or the users of the YellowTin Platform or the public.
YellowTin E-mail Communications
E-mail communications sent from us are designed to make your experience more efficient. By participating in the YellowTin Platform you specifically agree to accept and consent to receiving e-mail communications initiated from us, which include, without limitation: message notification e-mails, text message, or mobile push notification to for example: send you information relating to our products and services, and e-mails informing you about new and existing products we provide.
What Steps Are Taken to Keep Personal Information Secure?
We are concerned about ensuring the security of your Personal Information. We exercise great care in providing secure transmission of your information from your computer, device or tablet to our servers. Personal Information collected by the YellowTin Platform is stored in secure operating environments that are not available to the public. Our security procedures mean that we may occasionally request proof of identity before we disclose your Personal Information to you. Please understand, however, that while we try our best to safeguard your Personal Information once we receive it, no transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of the YellowTin Platform, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone. [We urge you to be careful about giving out information in public areas of the YellowTin Platform like message boards. The information you share in public areas may be viewed by any user of the YellowTin Platform.
How Can We Transfer Your Personal Information?
How Long Do We Keep Your Information?
Following termination or deactivation of your account, YellowTin, our affiliates, or our service providers may retain information (including your profile information) for a commercially reasonable time for backup, archival, analysis, marketing, optimization, and/or audit purposes. If you have any questions about termination or deactivation of your account, please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What Happens When I Link to or from Another Website?
Changes to This Policy
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Promotional Offers and Emails from YellowTin. You may always opt-out of receiving future e-mail messages and communications from us by following the unsubscribe instructions included on a particular communication or by sending us a message at email@example.com. Please note that you may not elect to stop receipt of communications pertaining to the processing or servicing of your account and you may receive communications on the same unless you cancel that product in accordance with that particular product’s terms and conditions and you will have no further transactions with us. If you request that we correct information about you, we will notify you within thirty (30) business days of receiving your written request. We will then provide the amended information to any person you designate, who may have received the information within the past two years as well as any entity that supplied us with the information or to whom we disclosed it.
We do not control third parties’ collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising. However these third parties may provide you with ways to choose not to have your information collected or used in this way. You can opt out of receiving targeted ads from members of the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI“) on the NAI’s website.
California residents may have additional personal information rights and choices. Please see Your California Privacy Rights for more information.
Your California Privacy Rights
How to Contact Us:
If you have any questions about our privacy policies, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.